Recipe Amber K. Stott
Spicy Panini with Pepper Jelly and Portabello Mushroom
This spicy portabella mushroom panini has so much flavor, you won’t miss the meat!
Spicy Panini with Pepper Jelly and Portabello Mushrooms
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger root, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices artisan bread
- 2 Tablespoons pepper jelly
- 4 slices Tillamook Pepper Jack cheese
- Place mushrooms gill-side-up on a small platter.
- Place half the garlic and half the ginger root in each mushroom, distributing evenly over the mushrooms’ surface.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 table spoon olive oil over each mushroom. Let rest about 10 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Place mushrooms gill-side-up on the grill for about 6 minutes (check the mushrooms after 3 minutes to be sure that the flame isn’t too high).
- Turn mushrooms over and cook on the second side for about 6 minutes, or until tender. Most of the garlic and ginger will fall off when you flip them. If the ginger is still clinging to the mushroom, remove it now.
- Set mushrooms aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Spread half a tablespoon pepper jelly on each slice of bread. Place a slice of pepper jack cheese on top of jelly on each slice of bread.
- Place bread cheese-side-up on grill over low flame, checking the underside so as not to burn. If necessary, lower heat.
- When cheese has melted, place a portabello mushroom between two slices of the bread to create a sandwich. Repeat with the second mushroom and remaining two slices of bread.
- Serve immediately.
Read all about National Panini Month.
Hello! We hope you made and enjoyed this recipe from our Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum! Please note that all photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Spicy Panini with Pepper Jelly and Portabello Mushroom on Food Literacy Center’s website. Thank you!