Tested by our kids in the classroom, vegetable dumplings are fun to make and even more fun to eat!
Vegetable Dumpling Recipe
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, chopped finely, tightly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup carrot, minced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 Tablespoon green onion, chopped finely
- 2 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 25 round wonton wrappers (you can usually find them in the produce section in your local grocery store)
Instructions for Adults
Assist with supervision of safe knife skills and stovetop.
Instructions for Kids
- Mix cabbage with 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Slowly scramble the egg in a pan over medium heat. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add carrots, mushrooms, grated ginger, and chopped green onion with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until mushrooms soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Drain liquid and add vegetables to the scrambled egg.
- Drain and squeeze out liquid from cabbage. Add to egg and vegetable mixture to prepare the filling.
- Combine water and flour together in a small bowl.
- Hold a wrapper in one hand and place 1 full tablespoon of the filling in the center of it.
- Dab the flour and water mix along the edges of the wrapper with your finger. Bring the edges of the wrapper closer together and seal the center edges together. You can also make little folds along the edge for a fun, fancy folded dumpling.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot and add 2 teaspoons of salt. With the help of an adult, add half the dumplings to the boiling water, leaving room to cook.
- When the dumplings rise to the surface, about 2 minutes, remove and enjoy with Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce!
Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce Recipe
Yield: 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
Instructions for Kids
Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and chili flakes in a small bowl. Use for dipping cooked dumplings!
Hello! We hope you made and enjoyed this recipe from our Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum! Please note that all photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Vegetable Dumpling recipe on Food Literacy Center’s website. Thank you!