Scandinavian Christmas Rice Pudding Recipe
On Christmas day, celebrate the season with a warm, wholesome and delicious Scandinavian Christmas rice pudding.
According to Awake at the Whisk, the cook stirs a single, whole almond into the finished rice. The dish is served as dessert after the holiday meal has been eaten, when everyone is already full! The trick is to keep eating until someone finds the almond. The recipient receives good luck—and a prize, which is typically a coloring book, some chocolates, mandarins or another small gift.
Thanks to Awake at the Whisk for introducing us to this fun and scrumptious Scandinavian tradition.
Happy Holidays to one and all!
Scandinavian Christmas Rice Pudding or Ris a l’amande
- 6 cups organic, whole milk
- 1 cup medium grain rice, such as Hinode Calrose
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole almond
- Lingonberry jam or marmalade
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler a little less than half-way with water. Bring to a rolling boil on the stove top.
- In the top of the double boiler, combine milk, rice, sugar, cardamom and salt. Cover and place over boiling water. Cook for 2.5 hours until most of the milk has been absorbed by the rice and a thick porridge has formed. Stir the mixture to incorporate any remaining milk throughout, and if it is too thin, continue cooking, covered, another 30 minutes.
- You may need to add more boiling water to the bottom of the double boiler as the pudding cooks. If so, keep a kettle of boiling water on hand to add. Check after each hour and add more boiling water if needed.
- Just before serving, add the almond to the pudding and stir. Serve warm or cool with lingonberry jam or marmalade as garnish.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Photo & recipe courtesy of Awake at the Whisk.
Hello! We hope you made and enjoyed this recipe from our Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum! Please note that all photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Scandinavian Christmas Rice Pudding on Food Literacy Center’s website. Thank you!
Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum.
© 2016 Food Literacy Center. All rights reserved. Do not copy or share without written permission.