Mushroom Larb (Laab)
Filled with savory mushrooms and fresh herbs, this recipe is tart, spicy and satisfying.
Mushroom Larb (Laab) Recipe
- 1/4 cup uncooked short grain or brown rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms,* diced
- 4 green onions, or 1 cup, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup or 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons mint, leaves torn into pieces (about 2 sprigs)
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice (1 to 2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon larb (laab) seasoning, available at Asian grocery stores & online
- 2 teaspoons toasted rice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flake (optional)
- 6 to 10 lettuce leaves
- *Any meaty/dense mushroom will work: brown cremini, white button, oyster, shiitake, beech, king, etc
Instructions for Adults
Assist with supervision of safe knife skills and stovetop.
Instructions for Kids
Heat a small skillet on medium-low heat. Add uncooked rice to the dry pan. Stirring occasionally, toast the rice for 15-18 minutes until medium brown and starting to smell like popcorn. Transfer to a plate and let cook completely. Grind in a spice grinder, food processor or crush with a mortar and pestle. Set aside 2 teaspoons for this recipe, and store the rest in an airtight container.
Heat a medium pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Add diced mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly brown. Drain out excess liquid and place in a medium mixing bowl.
Add green onion, shallot, cilantro and mint to the mushrooms and mix with a spoon.
Add lime juice, fish sauce, larb seasoning, 2 teaspoons toasted rice powder and red chili flake (if using). Mix until well combined
Serve on lettuce leaves and eat as a wrap.
Hello! We hope you made and enjoyed this recipe from our Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum! Please note that all photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Mushroom Larb (Laab) Recipe on Food Literacy Center’s website. Thank you!