Veggie Basics: Cactus Guacamole
Cactus Guacamole Recipe
- 4 avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 small cactus pad, or about 1 cup, spikes removed and finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- Juice from half to one lime
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2-3 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Instructions for Adults
Assist with supervision of safe knife handling.
Instructions for Kids
Peel avocados or scoop flesh from skin with a spoon and place flesh in a large bowl. Using a fork, lightly mash the avocado, leaving some small chunks intact.
Measure and add the chopped cactus and onion. Squeeze the juice from the cut lime into the bowl. Add the black pepper, cumin, hot sauce and garlic. Tear the cilantro into small bits with your hands. Add to the bowl.
Gently stir the ingredients just long enough to combine, making sure to keep some small chunks of avocado intact.
Serve with fresh veggies as a snack, or as a topping for tacos, burritos or sandwiches.
Hello! We hope you made and enjoyed this recipe from our Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum! Please note that all photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the Cactus Guacamole Recipe on Food Literacy Center’s website. Thank you!