Veggie of the Year
School lunch wins Veggie of the Year for a third time in row!
To celebrate Food Literacy Month in California we raise statewide awareness about the need for cooking and nutrition education for kids.
Food Literacy Month is kicked off by our annual Veggie of the Year competition, in which 5 notable local chefs create a tasty, veggie-forward bite featuring their assigned veggie. This year our participating chefs and assigned veggies were:
- Chef Sean Rumery of Canon East Sacramento: Team Potato
- Chef Toki Sawada of Binchoyaki Izakaya Dining: Team Poblano
- Chef Yolanda Marculescu of The Central Kitchen: Team Mushroom
- Chef Billy Zoellin of Bacon & Butter and The Green Room : Team Brussles Sprouts
- Chef Chris Barnum-Dann of Localis : Team Cauliflower
Michelin star chefs and School lunch chefs went head-to-head and presented their veggie forward bite to the world’s toughest critics–kids
Congratulations Chef Yolanda of The Central Kitchen for a second Veggie of the Year victory! View our Veggie of the Year Photo Album on Facebook!