As a small, start-up nonprofit, we rely on wonderful watercress interns to help us with various tasks. Help us inspire more kids to eat their vegetables by joining our team today!
Please note: our internships are currently unpaid.
2022 Fall Program Internship
Rates of food and nutrition insecurity are rising. At Food Literacy Center, we combine immediate food assistance with resilience skill-building, and we haven’t let the crisis stop us. We’re working with Title 1 elementary schools in Sacramento that include healthy recipe ingredients that students can cook at home with our STEM-based curriculum.
Food Literacy Center is searching for interns to support our mission by increasing access to fresh and healthy foods to students and their families.
Term, Hours, and Program Length
Food Literacy Program Interns must be able to commit to:
- 12-15 Hours a week
- TERM: Fall
- PROGRAM LENGTH: 5 Months (September 1st – December 16th)
- HOURS: 150-200 Hours Total
Position Description Summary & Activities:
You will be assisting one or more staff and providing access to healthy food in the community. As a Food Literacy Program Intern, you’ll engage and gain experience in the following activities:
- Recipe kit Preparation: assemble ingredients into kits for students and families.
- On-site classes: You will be assisting staff at school sites working with students directly through our afterschool program, garden classes or cooking classes.
- Volunteer outreach: Assist the volunteer coordinator with scheduling volunteers and tracking volunteer hours.
- Assist in program community projects.
- Community Outreach: Weekly evening events at farmers markets.
- Complete Food Handler Certification
- Must be 18 years or older
- Complete fingerprinting and pass a 3-tier background check (State, FBI, Sex Offender)
- Complete TB testing
- Adhere to organization’s COVID Policy and use PPE at all times.
- We require all staff and interns to be fully vaccinated ( COVID-19 vaccine)
- Able to commit for the whole term
- Have your own reliable transportation. You will be traveling to different sites on a weekly basis and transporting materials in your car.
- Must be able to complete food handler certification. (bonus if you already have one)
- Strong interest or experience in youth, nutrition, cooking, or community health
- Ability to work in a team environment, while being able to work independently
- Experience with or desire to work with underserved and diverse audiences
- Experience in the food or food access industries
- Basic knowledge of nutrition
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work as a team with adult leaders
- Ability to work independently as leader of a small group (consisting of children and their parents)
- Ability to multi-task and take initiative when necessary
- Capable of maintaining a joyful personality, even in times of stress
- July 31st by 5:00 PM: Application deadline
- August 1-12: Evaluate & Interview
- September 2nd: 9:30-12:00: Orientation & Onboarding
- End date: December 21
What you can expect from the internship:
- Training in safe food handling
- Hands on teaching experience working with K-6th grade students
- Experience in community nutrition
- Regular feedback to help you improve
- Reimbursement up to $92 for fingerprinting costs after completing entire internship if using our recommended vendor
- Reimbursement up to $15 for online food handler certificate via recommended vendors
Please note: this is an unpaid internship.
Join the broccoli best team ever by filling out our Internship Application
If you are experiencing difficulties filling out the form, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.