Huevos rancheros combines a crispy corn tortilla with the creamy yolk of a sunny side up egg and the spicy freshness of salsa. This recipe is easy to make and will be ready in a flash!
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup salsa or pico de gallo (freshly made or from a jar)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a small frying pan, heat a splash of olive oil over medium heat. Cook the egg sunny side up until the whites are hardened but the yolk is soft. Add a pinch of salt and pepper on the egg.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat a splash of olive oil over medium heat and place a tortilla in it. After a minute or 2, turn it over and place the egg on top of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle about a teaspoon or so of cheese on top of the egg. The heat will melt the cheese. After the cheese is melted (about 1-2 minutes), remove the huevos rancheros from the pan and add about 2 teaspoons of salsa (or to taste) on top.
- Repeat for the other 3 tortillas.
Recipe and photo by Heather Teoh
Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum.
© 2016 Food Literacy Center. All rights reserved. Do not copy or share without written permission.