Flavored Nut Milk
Give your kids a better flavored non-dairy milk, you make yourself!
There are so many reasons to limit or even totally avoid dairy products these days; hormones, antibiotics, over processing, and most recently we even had a mad cow disease scare in the milk supply! Schools and parents have been bashing sweetened flavored milk lately- in fact, some major school systems, like in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C, have banned flavored milks due to health concerns. But have no fear, nut milks are a great tasting super simple, super nutritious alternative to dairy and flavorings are made from real fruits!
In addition to being a great source of protein and dietary fiber, all nuts are a good source of heart healthy antioxidants like vitamin E and beneficial oils like omega 3 making them excellent foods to protect against heart disease.
Nut milks can be made from almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts, cashews, hemp seeds, pecans and walnuts.
Flavored Nut Milk
- 1 cup nuts or seeds
- 3 ½ cups water
- 3 teaspoons coconut nectar or agave
- 2 cups strawberries, bananas, or kiwis (fresh or thawed frozen)
- Soak nuts or seeds for at least 12 hours. Drain off the soaking liquid and rinse nuts twice. Add your nuts, water, coconut nectar or agave to your blender and blend to a creamy consistency.
- Line a pitcher with a nut milk bag and pour the contents of your blender into the bag. The milk will begin to drain into your pitcher. Squeeze the bag gently starting from the middle and squeezing downward. Repeat this process until you have squeezed all the liquid from your nut bag.
- Now for your flavoring, puree strawberries, bananas, or kiwis. Stir 1/3 cup of the fruit puree into 1 cup of nut milk, voila, enjoy your creamy beverage!
Tip: Cover and refrigerate the remaining puree for up to 5 days.
Make Life Delicious,
Chef Tina Jo
Hello! We hope you made and enjoyed this recipe from our Your Sandwich Can Save the World! Food Literacy Curriculum! Please note that all photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Flavored Nut Milk on Food Literacy Center’s website. Thank you!
© 2016 Food Literacy Center. All rights reserved. Do not copy or share without written permission.