History & Timeline
Food Literacy Center & Cooking School Project
This ambitious and first-of-its-kind project is in partnership with the Sacramento City Unified School District (SCUSD), the City of Sacramento, HMC Architects, and The Mill at Broadway, which neighbors the school campus. We are excited that it is finally coming to life!
- Food Literacy Center founded by Amber Stott, Chief Food Genius
- Provided free food literacy classes to 120 students at one school with all volunteer hour
- Worked with the California State Assembly and Senate to name September Food Literacy Month
- Hire paid staff and expanded to 3 schools.
- Started Food Literacy Academy to train the first of many Food Geniuses
- Began strategic conversations with SCUSD, The Mill at Broadway & the City of Sacramento about a partnership.
- Gathered letters of support from leaders like Alice Waters.
- Visited programs like Edible Schoolyard Project and Sage Garden Project to learn.
- School board voted unanimously to name Food Literacy Center as operator of the project.
- Began strategic internal planning.
- HMC Architects were selected to build the SCUSD Central Kitchen. At the same time, they agreed to design Broccoli HQ pro-bono.
- Continued internal planning.
- First project renderings shared with the community.
- Hosted our first onsite tours for funders in October.
- Architectural drawings complete and submitted for permits.
- Lots of paperwork and meetings about utilities!
- Groundbreaking in September.
2020 & Beyond
- Secure program funds, on-site sponsorships, and in-kind donations of equipment
- Move in to our new headquarters!
- Food literacy classes begin in the new cooking school.
- Continue free food literacy classes in afterschool programs across the Sacramento City Unified School District
- Celebrate our one-year anniversary
Support our new center and continued programs.